Support for Incoming Black Students (SIBS) is a year-long, student-coordinated, peer mentorship program that is open to all first-year students at the University of Michigan (U-M) who are interested in issues that affect the Black community and dedicated to the holistic wellbeing, retention and success of the students in the program. The goal of SIBS is to cultivate a sense of community, enhance community members' experiences at U-M as well as provide intentional mentorship and educational opportunities for students on campus. This includes personal, academic, and professional development opportunities that contribute to fulfilling first-year experience.
- Incoming and/or first-year students are paired with a mentor (Big SIB) who assists them with their transition to campus and college life at U-M
- The SIBS Lead Team hosts monthly events that provide social and networking opportunities to engage with fellow students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
- Access to the support and resources of the Office of Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs.
- Up-to-date information about active student organizations, university programs, and campus events
- Opportunities to strengthen your skills as a student leader and young professional in academia
- Increased understanding of your identities and those of others
- Work that involves social justice programming along with race and ethnicity educational conversation
- Attend the SIBS fall kick-off event in September
- Attend the SIBS Speed Matching event to help us pair you with the best Big SIB for you!
- Attend SIBS monthly scheduled events
- Attend the end-of-semester celebration(s) in December and April
- Maintain contact with your Big/Little SIB (meet at least once a month)
- Enjoy being a Black Wolverine!
Apply to be a mentor or mentee
Let us connect you with a mentor or mentee!
If you have questions or are interested in joining SIBS, please contact MESA program manager Braini McKenzie at firstname.lastname@example.org, (734)763-9044. You can also email the SIBS core team at email@example.com.