Welcome to the Grants Program!
[IMPORTANT] - MESA FUNDING IS ALLOCATED ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVE BASIS, determined by the date you submit your application. Our application is open for the Winter 2018 semester.
Contact MESA at 734-763-9044 or email@example.com for any inquiries. We are always happy to consult with you about your program or suggest other sources of funding.
Be sure you're read the guidelines below or read through our application guide here!
Please note that our funding application is an interactive process. You’ll be asked not only to submit an application but to then meet with MESA staff before and after your program. Please refer to this chart to learn more about our process, and review additional criteria below.
Please note that all grant recipients will be asked to attend a special celebration on Monday, April 9 from 6:30-8:00pm.
Programs should address the following criteria:
- Further the mission of the MESA
- For example, programs should promote social justice education through the lens of race/ethnicity. This could be achieved through programs that focus on dialogue, identity exploration, cultural education/awareness, cross-cultural initiatives or community building that supports positive growth and relationships within the U-M community
- Host events or programs that are open to the entire University community with an emphasis on providing programming for participants or an audience comprising currently enrolled U-M students
- Demonstrate a strong educational component that is aimed at educating the broader community about a particular subject
- Have the potential to significantly impact the student life experience at Michigan
Budget (subject to change):
- $400 maximum per semester
- $800 maximum per organization per academic year
In order to be considered for funding, your proposal must:
- Be a registered student organization with an active University Fund Account through the Student Organization Account Service (SOAS) in good standing**
**If you are not a registered student organization but believe your program/initiative is in alignment with the grant funding criteria, please reach out to Abby Chien (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss funding opportunities!
- Submit your application no later than 10 days prior to the event
- Complete all sections of the online application fully including an itemized budget
Examples of funding:
- On-campus event or program supplies such as food, printing and space reservations
- Performers including speaker honorariums and DJs
- Travel for guest performers
Funding will not be given to:
- Programs that do not comply with the law
- Programs/events where alcohol is present
- Individual students
- Programs that have already occurred or are not happening during the current academic year
- *Events occurring off-campus, including alternative break trips, events at local high schools etc.
- Programs where the primary audience is non-University students
- Programs submitted solely by student fee-generated groups, such as the Michigan Student Assembly, Residence Hall Councils, and school/college student governments. Proposals submitted in conjunction with Voluntary Student Organizations may be considered
- Programs submitted solely by regental authorized student groups, such as the University Activities Center or Black Student Union
- Programs promoting a political agenda
- Programs for academic credit or class projects
- Programs that judge individuals on physical appearance or talent
- Religious services; note that educational programs centered on religion and spirituality are permitted
- Travel for trips, conferences etc. off-campus
- Funds cannot be used to directly benefit charity or fundraising efforts
- Programs where the primary engagement method is through fashion and/or fashion shows. We welcome you to talk with our office about eligibility, prior to filling out an application, if you feel your program does meet our mission of social justice education
* Events occurring off-campus, when all other on-campus options are not available, may be open to consideration. Please contact our office to inquire whether your program may be applicable for a grant.
MESA staff is available to help clarify and work with you prior to submitting a proposal. Please reach out to us at any time if you have questions at email@example.com or call us at (734) 763-9044.